Abstract template and guidelines-Students
ROYAL ACADEMY OF MEDICINE IN IRELAND STUDENT RESEARCH AWARDS 2022
This year’s RAMI student research awards will be held on Wednesday 30th November 2022. The competition will be held in Holles Street.
Abstracts are due for submission by 6pm on Friday 28th October 2022 and successful applicants will be informed over the following week if their abstract has been accepted. Successful applicants will be expected to present a poster of their work to the judges on the evening of 30th November 2022.
A single medal will be awarded this year.
- All abstracts must adhere to the following guidelines. Abstracts that do not follow the guidelines will not be accepted.
1. Abstracts should be 300 words or less, excluding title and authors.
2. Font style and size: Times New Roman, 12, single-spaced.
3. Titles should be in bold and all words should start with upper case except for prepositions. (e.g. All Words in Title Should Start with Upper Case, except Prepositions)
4. Information should be organised under four headings: Background: Methods: Results: and Conclusion. Headings should be in bold.
5. Authors should be presented as surname, followed by initials (e.g. Murphy A, Carey T, Dunne P) and subsequent authors separated by a comma. The first author must be the submitting author. The author list will be published in the order that it is submitted in the abstract, so please ensure all authors are aware of this.
6. Each author needs an affiliation. Affiliations must include a department and organisation. Affiliations should be listed under the author list, linked by numerical superscript.
7. There should be no references in the abstract.
8. There should be no diagrams or graphs. Everything must be text-based.
9. Abstracts should be submitted as an MS Word document. No pdf’s.
10. Please include at least 3 or 4 keywords.
11. If for publication, the abstract must not have been published elsewhere in abstract or another form. It must not be published online.All abstracts must be submitted online (not be email). Abstracts must be submitted before 6pm on 28th October 2022 to be considered for entry. Late applications will not be accepted.
The cost of entry is €10 for non-RAMI members but is free to members of the Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland. Undergraduate student membership is €10 per annum
Example – Abstract Template
The Title Should Be Here. All Words in Title Should Start with Upper Case, except Prepositions
Murphy A1, Smith BE2
1. School of Medicine, University College Dublin
2. Department of Psychiatry, St Vincent’s University Hospital
Background: Introduction. Some background about what has been done in the past in this area and what information is lacking (usually what you’ve being trying to show with your research!)
Methods: How you did it. This needs enough general information that somebody who may not know much about the field gets an idea about what you did. And conversely, some specific information that a person who knows the field well would want to know. A sentence or two about the statistics used could also be useful.
Results: Specific interesting results. Include p-values if possible. If nothing was significant, that’s fine, just mention them anyway. Do not comment on the results here.
Conclusion: Commentary on the results. Commentary on the results. What do your results reveal? How do they fit into the big What do your results reveal? How do they fit into the big picture?picture? Why are they important? What more needs to be done in the future?Why are they important? What more needs to be done in the future?
- Keywords: research; information; idea; future